Sometimes, it seems so mundane to talk about the weather. No snow, tons of snow, rain, clouds, sun. Blah, blah, blah. But the truth is, especially in an outdoors-centric place like Park City, climate is everything. We’re going to be outside either way. The weather just determines the nature of the activity and whether or not we wear a beanie.
These days, beanies on, we’re dealing with the shoulder season and chillier weather by the day. I embrace this time of year, when things change on a daily basis.
As I write this, foliage at elevation is long gone. There are patches of snow along the ridgeline and where the resorts have had their first snowmaking attempts. In the basin, grass, leaves and some hardy plants are still hanging onto the colors of their season.
One of the coolest things about shoulder season is that almost everybody in town is local. Don’t get me wrong. We love our visitors and second homeowners. But what you have out there now is basically Park City with its pants down. No thick grasses, no leaves, no snow and no tourists to camouflage ourselves in the everyday hustle and bustle.
Park City, I see you!
Here are a few other reasons to embrace this time of year in Park City. Please add your own in the comments section.
- 2 for 1 specials. Check for them in the Park Record (get a physical paper) and at TasteOfParkCity.com
- Halloween: kids, pups & adults in costume on Main St
- Something in our subconscious that tells us to have that extra helping. Time to thicken up for winter.
- First snows
- Park City Ghost Tours, nightly at 8pm
- Enjoying a hot tea at Atticus
- Mountain biking in pants, and on less crowded trails
- Buying discount locals’ season passes (PCMR, Deer Valley, Canyons, White Pine Touring)
- Talking about the upcoming ski season
- Easy parking in town
- Staying in and chillin by the fire
Oh, and by the way… hi. My name is Emily, and I’ll be writing here and there for PCD. The concept for Park City Daily struck a cord with me – it’s all about why Park City is fun. Well, I like fun. So I decided I’d like to be a part of this. I hope you’ll stop by to read my ramblings from time to time, and maybe take a minute to comment here and there. Peace and good times, y’all.Posted by Emily | 0 comments